Are you an artist? Here are the ten things that define artists and make them successful.
1) Harness Your Creative Flow. If you are counting the hours you work you are not doing the right work. Manage your energy not your hours. An hour of the wrong work can be more exhausting than 24 straight hours if the work isn't energizing.
2) Seek inspiration in everything. The source of the next spark or solution to a challenge is likely to be in an unexpected place. If you aren't always looking, you are unlikely to find it.
3) Color Outside the Lines. Artists don't follow rules. They know them and exploit them to find ways to stretch themselves and innovate.
4) Avoid Attachment. No matter how great your last success, it is the next one that matters.
5) Know When You’re Done. Many great works of art are ruined when the artist doesn't have the confidence to stop.
6) Don't Work Alone. Build a community around you of other artists that inspire and challenge you every day.
7) Create Don't Critique. It is easy to spend your days critiquing the work of others and deconstructing their efforts. What did you accomplish at the end of the day?
8) Data connects points but never creates the whole picture (unless you are Chuck Close). It is vision that adds color, context and depth.
9) Be a Mentor. The only thing more exciting than seeing the results of your work is seeing someone you mentored realize their potential as an artist.
10) Be courageous. Being an artists is scary and many people may not like your work, but those that do will love it and become lifelong patrons.
Everyone can be an artist if they give themselves permission.
Referenced from Haystey Prophecy